Cold and heat therapy is an efficient and affordable solution for reducing back and neck pain. Ask any doctor or physical therapist, and they’ll tell you that ice packs and heating pads are great tools to have on hand to manage pain. But ice packs can get expensive, and heating pads can be bulky and inconvenient. So why not make your own? Gel ice packs are easy to make at home, and you can tailor them to fit your needs. Here’s how:
What You’ll Need
To make your gel ice pack, you’ll need a sealable plastic bag, water, and rubbing alcohol or liquid dish soap. That’s it! Rubbing alcohol will make your ice pack colder than water alone, but it can also irritate your skin when used directly. Adding a few drops of dish soap will help prevent this.
1. Fill the plastic bag halfway with water. Add rubbing alcohol or liquid dish soap if desired.
2. Seal the bag tightly, not leaving any air inside.
3. Place the bag in the freezer for at least two hours or until frozen solid.
4. To use, apply the ice pack directly to the area of pain for up to 20 minutes.
5. Store the gel pack in the freezer until needed again.
Gel ice packs are a convenient way to get quick relief from pain. By making your own at home, you can save money and customize them to fit your needs. Plus, they’re easy to make! Follow the instructions above, and you’ll have your gel pack.